Saturday, April 19, 2014

But your final reward will be heartache and tears

 In last two years, my younger sister has been working for home at parents house for almost 1.2 years to be around them. Remaining time, my parents have either traveled to US to live with my elder sister or lived alone. I, on my part, has been mostly an external help - when they need someone to run around. While I was in Teach for India, Delhi, I used to drive 50 kms everyday on my Activa to meet my father at the hospital . That was the only real time that I was taking care of things at home with complete responsibility.

Lately, I have started feeling that I am running away from taking that responsibility in order to build my life.

There is this poem that I read recently which I am thinking about a lot:

The Guy in the Glass (reference : http://www.theguyintheglass.com/gig.htm )
 by Dale Wimbrow, (c) 1934

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
 And the world makes you King for a day,
 Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
 And see what that guy has to say.
   
For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
 Who judgement upon you must pass.
 The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
 Is the guy staring back from the glass.
  
He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
 For he's with you clear up to the end,
 And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test

If the guy in the glass is your friend.
 You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
 And think you're a wonderful guy,
 But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
 If you can't look him straight in the eye.

  You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
 And get pats on the back as you pass,
 But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
 If you've cheated the guy in the glass.


3 comments:

  1. Amazing lines:

    " You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
    And get pats on the back as you pass,
    But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
    If you've cheated the guy in the glass."

    So true.

    I dont want to be preachy.......

    But I can say one thing. Parents would love to see their children being strong and undefeated in life than anything else. You have to be sure from within that whether you are running away from your responsibilities.

    Based on whatever I have read in your blogs.......I believe you are a person who views life from a deeper perspective. I think their is a very thin line between being selfish and building your life and both cannot be the same.

    Your inner self is the best judge. You are a wonderful human being.....touched so many lives.......its difficult for you to be a selfish being. I truly believe this. Please be convinced about this.

    If you think you need to do more for your parents do that......may be you might have to stretch yourself to the fullest but you are capable of doing that.

    Parents are the most selfless being and they love us and understand us more than anyone else and at some instances more than us.

    All the best. You are a winner in life.....you just cant be defeated.......cheer up strong girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much. I almost forgot that I have touched lives in a meaningful way.

      Delete
  2. I am in that dilemma too. I transferred to another city on job purpose and left my Mom with my elder sister, and I sometimes feel that I have failed my Mom by not being with her. Even though my case is different, I just want to say that you are doing a wonderful job reaching out to people. I have been reading your blog for quite some time and this post compelled me to comment. I am sure you try and spend time with your family as and when you can.

    Keep going, I am cheering you on :-)

    ReplyDelete