Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The magic of the old city of Hyderabad

The school was located very close to Charminar. After four months of being in Hyderabad, I finally got to see how Charminar looks like. As I looked over it, I remembered seeing Qutub Minar everyday for a year when I was in Delhi as Ummeed is located right behind it. And now Charminar gave me similar inspiration. The firmness of these monuments even if world around them is changing has always been a huge reaffirmation for me, to live my life that way, with firmness of being fair.

Passing by the crowded streets, broken arches and empty eyes of ever-busy shopkeepers, I remembered mumbling to myself, "Life is lived here as well. " We entered into the school and I met the children. Unlike my Ummeed students, who would all were rowdy, vocal and shouting, the children here were seemingly shy. The girls students' heads were covered. The teachers heads were covered too but they were using technology with so much ease. The sight was a unique combination of progressiveness and tradition. I looked unblinked at the teacher who was bringing so much energy despite her shy demeanor and traditional wardrobe. 

Later, we saw 10th graders girl and they all were standing around their science projects. They could not explain us much Physics of series and parellel resistance or any functioning of battery and power but they tried really well. I have always seen in any of the school I visited, students are always good. and I have come to a belief that we fail them, we don't make efforts to understand them and make them understand the way they would. All of these girls again had covered their heads as well. They sang beautifully an English song for us on principal's request. The lyrics of songs were, to our surprise,  unusually romantic. I guess the adolescence was kicking in and needed a channel but I fear the environment of old city wouldn't handle it with care. 

In their voices and their faces, I saw the beauty of India., and how much it calls to be protected and nurtured. It filled me with energy as I walk on this path, sometimes lost and sometimes brought back.

No comments:

Post a Comment