Wednesday, July 7, 2010

One year of my GMAT!

It has been an year that I gave GMAT - exactly one year. I have never written about my GMAT day but I can tell you it was an exciting day. When I got the score, I actually jumped on eerie staircase of Pearson center in Bangalore. The only disappointment was that I forgot to look at time after I was left with last SC question and as soon as I was moving my mouse to mark answer as "D", I got the most dreaded alert of any GMAT test taker - Your time is up!
After this disaster, I was expecting my score to be less than 700 and in those 10 minutes after that stupid message box where they make you fill all sorts of things (I was so lost wondering about my score that I don't know what I filled in there), I was actually loosing heart. But somehow I actually managed to get a decent score. When I came out of the room, the man-in-charge said - Congratulations! You are third highest scorer of the day. I was actually wondering what he would have said if I had marked that "D"!
The ironical thing is that just a day before my G-Day, I attempted the two tests reinstalling them on my notebook from mba.com (yes two tests in same day and right before my exam!) and scored 730 in both of them. When I left for Pearson center - my elder sister said your score will be +-30 of 730 but nopes I scored just 730!
I never did anything else for my apps other than preparing for GMAT for those three months. I never missed a day of studying. I never studied quant other than going through it during full-length tests and I did only four full-length tests! But I studied verbal and studied it hard. I did all three OGs I had access to - OG10, OG11, OG12, GMAT Verbal along with Kaplan 800, Manhattan SC guide and Kaplan Comprehensive. At one point, I made no question wrong in CR and RC. I timed all my questions and I used to bookmark in OG all 41 questions from all three verbal sections that I had to attempt in that hour. But throughout, I remained a poor scorer in SC. Not once I got it all right. One of the best things I did was, in the notebook where I attempted all questions after the test, I used to write down my assesment- whether I was sleeping or feeling tired or wandering off or I was rocking the test or I was fresh, active etc. I also included in my appraisal why I marked a wrong question that way and how differently I was thinking with respect to OG. That did a trick! I improved considerably. It felt like you have reached to the paradigm where test-makers are.
But even after putting so much hard work in verbal my break-up of score is 50 Quant, 38 Verbal. LoL! Quant is like in my blood and verbal cannot even be an acquired trait. So I may not be right person to give you verbal advice but I can tell you to get a great score never miss a day and be your own critique.
After being a GMAT instructor for short time, I can also tell you that if you can stay discipline and focussed, you need no coaching. If you want to spend money, spend it in buying original GMAT books. Even the smell and color of those books can inspire you to study.
Always have a pen and a notebook to write down. Howsoever good I was in quant, I wrote down step-by-step each quant question I attempted. And with verbal, I always created ABCDE graph and eliminated the wrong answers.
Huff! I am done writing! Just have to say GMAT day had set direction of my life and is a first step of my aspired career. Rest all my hard work after GMAT howsoever more than it is than I put in GMAT, is actually a step beyond it.
Thanks for reading the post. Please do leave your comments - whatever they are - good or bad.

P.S. What a coincidence that I have got my 730th visitor today

10 comments:

  1. Hey, very nice debrief.. Only if I had read it 2 month back :(
    Nonetheless.. Very inspiring for others, all the hard work you put in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helo... Very gud write up.. Yup your hard work and assessment made the trick...Really motivating !!..

    I could feel the moment you have described about your last SC Ques and the follow up score. All the best on your apps!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anagha! Thanks for your comment. If I am not wrong, you gave your GMAT on June 23rd. How did it go?
    Hey S-AK! Thanks for your wishes. Really need them for my apps.I have heard from A that you are also preparing for GMAT. How is the prep going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey mukaam, gud its just a year passed and u got a chance to debrief it ;) busy gal i must say :)

    jokes apart, i like the way you write, and no kiddin! and the debrief wud be no doubt inspiring for your readers...

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries.. your apps are gonna be great. I know you are such a dedicated and a real hard worker. So you should be good.

    Reg my prep... ha ha.. its going on .. going on.. going on.. lets see how it ends. Thanks for asking !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mukaam,

    Congratulations for the fabulour score :).

    All the best for apoplications.. hope you get into your dream college.

    Cheers,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate your post. It gives an outstanding idea that is very helpful for all the people on the web. Thanks for sharing this information and I’ll love to read your next post too.
    Regards:
    Best B Schools in india

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate your post. It gives an outstanding idea that is very helpful for all the people on the web. Thanks for sharing this information and I’ll love to read your next post too.
    Regards:
    Best B Schools in india

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really appreciate your post. It gives an outstanding idea that is very helpful for all the people on the web. Thanks for sharing this information and I’ll love to read your next post too.
    Regards:
    Best B Schools in india

    ReplyDelete